Are you in possession of a house and do you want to rent it out? Then you must pass this on to your insurer and get permission from your mortgage provider. This also applies if you rent your home temporarily, because you go abroad, for example. In that case, some insurers will charge a higher premium for home insurance, because they assume that the risk of damage is higher when rented. There are insurers where you are automatically insured for private holiday rentals.

If you rent your house unfurnished you can often cancel your home insurance and take out a separate insurance policy. In some home insurance policies, however, you can simply set the value of household effects to zero, so that you do not pay more premium than necessary.